Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Marathon Training Week 6

Run Mileage: 41.15
Bike Mileage: 0
Yoga Classes: 1
Time Strength Training: 1:11:14
Swimming: 500 yards

This has been a dramatic week of training and learning.

First the lows: I will be writing a review for the Independence Day 5k I did before this training week, but between getting a PR at that 5k and running 6 miles of trails, followed by 11 miles on the street the next day, I totally KILLED my legs and wasn't ready to take on this past week of miles. I mean killed in a good way. Killed as in my lower limbs were so sore for days after that weekend. I could not do any of the paces I was supposed to hit. I physically was incapable. I was able to run but slowly. My legs felt like I was running in ankle weights through pudding. It was rough going. Everyday I attempted my assigned speed work and everyday I failed. I watched in terror as my V02 max and race predictions began to drop with each run.

I contacted my coach and asked for advice. Do I rest, do I lower my miles, lower my pace? What's the best way to take care of myself so I won't get hurt and will get faster.  He suggested I keep at it, don't lower the mileage and do what I can in terms of pace. So I did and struggled with every single run all the way through until Friday when I was finally feeling normal again and could do speed work as assigned. It was so depressing and frankly, also scary. I looked up burn out and worried I was wearing myself down and being counterproductive in my training. It was a real funk. My coach also suggested extra rest and looking into my nutrition. I got an hour extra sleep every night and ate about as well as ever, focusing on getting plenty of vegetarian protein.

Friday I had strides on the menu and I strode! My legs finally felt pretty normal again. Ah, the relief! The soreness and feeling of weight in my calves passed. My V02 max began to return to previous highs.

I should probably point out that at no point did I feel injured. I was just ridiculously sore. This was not rest time and although I had several workouts that sucked because I felt so slow and heavy, runs that made me doubt my potential, I was able to pull through it and it got better. I feel like I conquered that low. Am I stronger? Who knows? But I'm back to normal.

Which leads me to the highs of the weekend...

I went on a weekend vacation to see my awesome in-laws in Michigan. They are absolutely amazing and fantastic! Honestly, love them. On Saturday I ran a 5k with Mallory and her mom. It was her mom's first, having just completed the Couch to 5k program. And, she rocked it! She ran the whole thing. No walking and pretty decent time.

Basking in our post-run glory and shirts by the pool.

I also rocked it. Although I was way slower than my 5k the weekend before, guess who got first place female overall? Yes, I did. (More on that in the race recap.) Not only that, but I ran before the race and ran home after the race to get my full miles in.

But, I am most proud of myself for following through with my long run and strength training the following day while on vacation. I totally didn't want to, but I knew the pain of not doing it would be worse than the pain of going out early and getting it done. So, I ran 17 miles while on vacation and did a core workout. Michigan is really pretty and I enjoyed touring the town by foot even if I did not especially appreciate hitting the road for three hours while on vacation.

Example of the scene from my Michigan long run.

Another scene experienced during my 17 miles in Michigan.
I saw several deer during my run and this is one of them.
Today my legs are feeling perfectly back to normal and deserving of my scheduled two weeks of cut back miles! You deserve a break legs. Chill (a tiny little bit).

And also, I spent a bunch of time in the pool at Mallory's uncle's house. I practiced strengthening my swim, although it's still really tough and exhausting. However, if I keep up the trying, I'm gonna own the pond here by the end of summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment