Sunday, June 26, 2016

Training Week -1

For a little while at the beginning of this blog I was updating what was going on with my training once per week. I would like to begin that again as one more method of accountability. I hope my two readers (or perception of thousands of readers) will keep me honest. Side note: please subscribe to my blog, so this feels a little less in vain. 

My training for the Women's Triathlon in September and Detroit Marathon in October begins tomorrow and I did a little work this week to help me feel ready. Here are the numbers.

Run: 40.06 miles
Cycling: 25.2 miles
Swimming: 2.2 miles
Strength Training: not much
Yoga: None

This has been a very exciting week. The highlights include being the Detroit Free Press Runner of the Week, feeling like I am really working on the swim and getting used to being in open water, trail running with new runner friends and just now making a full week of healthy meal prep, so I start this new phase of training strong and nutritionally sound. 

A great shot of Mallory and I running this weekend.

My second swim of the season.

Funny note: I think it is likely hilarious to watch me swim in the open water. It goes like this: swimmy swim swim, see a leaf or get touched by a piece of grass, startle, stop, look around, swimmy, swim swim, repeat. However, by the end of more than a mile back and forth in the pond today and 45 minutes in the water,  I stopped being scared of leaves and nature, so thumbs up to me!

Trail run with our new friends Faith and Aimee. 
Being famous in the Detroit Free Press Sunday Paper!

Some of the amazing food I just made

As a new triathlete who hasn't officially even begun training, here's what's scary to me right now. I don't know anything about cycling or swimming. I can do both without dying, but that's about the extent of my talent and knowledge. I don't know about form, technique, speed or other drills AT ALL. I don't even really know where to look. My knowledge is so poor on cycling and swimming, I can't say any more than that. Technically I can do a sprint triathlon no problem right now, but doing it well, that's a wholly different story. I also don't know what it would mean to do it well. Yep, I cannot even define well. There's a lot of learning to be done in the world of triathlon and some quality work to be done in the world of marathon for the next several weeks. 

Here's to killing 12 weeks of triathlon training and 16 weeks of marathon training. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment