Monday, July 11, 2016

Training Week 2 Haikus and Photos

July 4 - July 10, 2016

Week two of marathon and triathlon training is in the books. I did a great job getting my running miles in and some decent strength workouts. However, I completely failed training for triathlon. One reason: weather! The beginning of the week was horribly sticky nasty hellishly hot. I did my runs and they took foooooreeeeeeveeeeeer, causing two problems: I didn't have time to bike and I didn't have the ability to move my body outside anymore. I basically died. Over the weekend it was cold and rainy, so no swims. Of course, if I was a badass swimmer, I would have done it anyway, but alas, I am a wee baby when it comes to being wet and cold. My marathon is my top priority, so I didn't let the heat keep me inside and made running and strength training my number one with no excuses. Here's how it broke down.

Monday: Arnold Mills Fourth of July Four Miler Race, 4.01 miles
This was a big disappointment for me. We had been camping and I spent the weekend eating shit and not drinking water. I totally didn't take care of myself. Combine this with a hot day race and it wasn't pretty. I was running into every spectator with a hose, all up in the water stops and at one point I walked. I literally ceased to care at all and just wanted to be done with the whole experience. Then I placed fourth in my division and was a minute behind first. Lessons learned: Take care of yourself before races and don't punk out!

Thirsty from the start
Cramping, tired, giving up, hot
Regret is painful
Tuesday: 9 easy miles run, 4 strides and leg strength routine
Killed it. I was still fired up from cutting it so close at the race and letting myself give up that I got through this, no problem.

Hair in sweaty knots
Sweat from eyes and finger tips
Drenched from the inside 

Wednesday: 10.01 easy miles, ab routine
OMG! I am just not a heat runner. I hate to complain, but that is all that was happening in my mind. I decided I hated running and did not know why I do it. I was so slow and no amount of self-pep-talk or physical pushing could fix it. Should have been a brick workout, but I prioritized my run and did that first due to the heat and good thing, because I ran out of time before work to get back outside on the bike.

Salty pain stings eyes
On the road in hell degrees
Someone kill me now

Thursday: 6 easy miles and 4 strides
Seriously, the heat! I thought I would be okay since I was running less than Wednesday, but I kinda hoped for death during this run. Slowest!

Usual suspects
Are fewer on the dirt path
Summer keeps them in

Friday: 8 miles easy and 5 timed fartleks, core routine
Overcast and super cool for summer! I was so happy, because I could run again and I liked it! Knocked this out, no problem and the fartleks added a mile and a half to the run. Got everything done before work and felt totally satisfied with the day.

Overcast cool day
Finally running is fun
I remember this

Saturday: Rest day, but walked my dogs almost 4.5 miles
Went shoe shopping and didn't find anything. 

Rest, but legs don't sleep
Walked these dogs full Blackstone path
We all sleep tonight 

Sunday: 12 miles long run, core routine
Killed it! I bought new shoes beforehand and tried out some new New Balance Vazee 2090 (I also got the Saucony Kinvara 7!) and felt so light and fresh. It was cool enough and comfortable for running. Loved everything today. Watched the documentary The Highest Race on Amazon Prime and determined I have no desire to EVER do that. I'm excited for Detroit Marathon though.

Fresh legs and fresh shoes
Dreaming of awards, goals smashed
But first today. Now.

The weekly breakdown:
Run: 51.53 miles
Bike: 0
Swim: 0
Strength: 2 hours and 15 minutes total

Total Time Invested (dog walking included): 11:44:34

No comments:

Post a Comment