Sunday, June 21, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Redding Road Race 2015 Race Recap

So, it's not Thursday... I started this blog with the headline on Thursday and then went about my day and forgot about it. Hey, it's a new blog and I'm still getting used to the schedule.

Anyhow, today we'll review the Redding Road Race in Redding Connecticut, aka "A Run for The Cows," held in Redding, CT. Mallory and I ran this race on May 3, 2015. First things first: You need to know this is another quick-to-sell-out race, so if you want to do it, put the registration date in your calendar and plan to sign up immediately.

For me, this race was 2 weeks before the Sugarloaf Marathon and on the day of my last 20-miler and therefore a part of a longer run. I was also running on legs that were very ready to taper. When we went to pick up our bibs and numbers the day before at New Pond Farm, and saw the course, we knew this would be no easy half either. Hilly! Like possibly the hilliest kind of hilly. I have also run the Heartbreak Hill Half which has some hills, as you might think, but this was hillier.

I mean, just look.


I feel like this does not look as intense as it seemed, so trust me when I tell you it felt intense, at least on my ready-to-taper legs.

Packet pick up was at New Pond Farm the day before, which is also the location of the start and finish. This is a tiny race, but holy bling! We each got a water bottle, travel mug, insulated lunch bag, magnet, t-shirt and cowbell (of course). Everything was cute too. I really love the shirt and the water bottle matches my bike.


This race has a seven-miler, half marathon and "The Mighty Cow." The Mighty Cow means you start early and run a 5k before completing the half (given I needed to run 20, I wish I had thought of that earlier). These races are not expensive either, $40 to $60, depending on what you're up for. Oh yeah, there is also a "Piglet Prance" for the kidlettes. How cute is that?

Mallory poses with a cow at the start/finish.
The half marathon started at 8am. The weather was gorgeous. Temperature was cool, but sunny. We started with a lap around the farm and then we were hitting the roads. Gorgeous. Beautiful. Majestic course. People were friendly along the way and there was a little bit of crowd support. Not a ton, but plenty. I would show you photos, but you'll have to go to their website: race course photos to check it out. I was running, after all. I had no time for taking pretty photos. I do recall running near a church and the bells were tolling right at that moment, which was pretty cool. We ran through the barn and back onto the farm for the finish. They gave us awesome cowbell medals and flowers! More cowbell please!


They went all out at the finish. I mean we're talking serious food. Fresh chocolate milk, all sorts of fruit, pizza and donuts. I think there may have also been bagels. I don't know, but there was a lot to eat! I had some really delicious chocolate milk and fruit and watched the award ceremonies. Winners got glass pitchers with the logo or sets of glasses. Lots of prizes too. When it was time to go, they were trying to give away boxes of pizza to take along for the ride. We declined.

I finished in 1:54:01. Not my best performance, but I didn't run to "perform." I ran to train and went home and ran another 7. I had considered running my seven right through the finish line, but I could not stand the thought of another hill. No freakin' way.

Overall A+ race. Do it.

My bling got photobombed! 



3 comments: