Sunday, June 7, 2015

Marathon Training Week 1

Marathon Training Day One
Monday
June 1, 2015

Rest Day

Last night I said, "Tomorrow my training plan begins and no matter what, I am going to do what's scheduled... unless I am sick or injured." Today was a scheduled rest day and boy howdy did I rest. I had intended to wake up early and go to yoga as usual, but a 45 minute nap on Sunday afternoon resulted in total insomnia. I didn't fall asleep until after 2am. (Note to self: You are not a napper!) No way was I getting up at 5am for yoga after that. I missed it. I also wanted to get my 10,000 steps in walking my dogs. Nope again. It was raining and in spite of the sleeping in a little, I was pooped. So, I rested supreme, which is fine I guess, since that is technically all that was asked of me. I also had a Skype session with my coach and learned about all of my workouts and suggested paces as well as going over any questions and suggestions.

Marathon Training Day Two
Tuesday
June 2, 2015

6 miles and Core Workout

I set my alarm for 5:15am with the intention of getting up, doing my full warm-up, running 1 mile to gym, doing a steady state (progressive) on the treadmill, completing the Runner's World core routine that I really like and running my butt home to shower and whatever before work. Apparently, the lack of sleep the night before continued to play a role in my training, because last night I slept WONDERFULLY and when my watch vibrated at 5:15am, I turned it off. Knowing myself, I normally wake pretty early anyway, so whatever, there's time. Nope! It was pouring when I got up later than normal, but I made it to the gym by 8am and got my assigned run in as planned. Speed as follows: 6.7 mph for 3 miles and for the last three I increased .1 every half mile, bringing me up to 7.3 for the last .5. I'm not sure if that's quite right, but it felt right so whatever. Steady state is a new concept to me. My coach explained it as progressing in speed a little at the end and research explained it that way or by heart rate or by keeping a pace 10 seconds faster than your marathon pace to 40 seconds slower than your marathon pace depending on a host of things. This is a complicated type of training. Point for today though is that the run felt moderately challenging. I didn't die. I won't be sore, but I felt like I worked.

This left no time for my core workout, but I still got it done. As I told myself (and Mallory) on Sunday, I will have to get my training done before I go to bed everyday. No excuses. So, I did my core with no corner's cut before dinner.

Feeling good and looking forward to tomorrow.

Marathon Training Day 3
Wednesday
June 3, 2015

3 miles with hip

I ran a little too fast today. This should have been a recovery run, but I struggle with keeping a predetermined pace. While my regular 3 mile runs would be in the 8:30 range and feel just right, when told to run in the 8 to 8:20 range, I run under 8. My first mile was spent trying to find the sweet spot without a 7 in the front. No luck. Average pace was 7:54. It was close I guess, but did not feel very "recovery." I hope sticking to various paces gets easier with practice. This is what I do not love about following plans with pace and I truly suck at this and make myself sick with pushing too hard. I guess it's part of learning about my body and making progress, so I will keep trying.

I also did several exercises to keep my hips strong, healthy and flexible both before and after, which should be helpful for staying injury free. Gotta love not having sharp shooting pains right?

Marathon Training Day 4
Thursday
June 4, 2015

4 miles with Strides

Today I had strides during a four mile run on the schedule. I'm pretty excited because I figured out how to create workouts on Garmin Connect, load to my watch and add to a calendar and upload the calendar to my watch. Strides don't really work well with tech. They're more of a free thing, but I tried and then pretty much ignored the settings and just did strides. Followed it up with ITB strengthening. I also decided to use my breaks between sets to roll. I rolled my feet, calves and IT. This is something I need to get better with. Today was stellar.

Marathon Training Day 5
Friday
June 5, 2015

Cycling

Today was just a bike ride and dynamic cool down. I love bike days. Sometimes when I'm riding, I think about doing another triathlon. I can ride a half Ironman distance any day. I can run half Ironman distance in my sleep. Just getting in the swimming is a problem. No close swim location for me. Question to self: Do triathletes get injured more or less? I wonder what impact various forms of training combined have on the body.


Marathon Training Day 6
Saturday
June 6, 2015

4 Miles

Today I ran 4 easy miles. I'm still struggling with keeping the pace slow enough, even if it feels too fast. I kept reminding myself to slow down, slow down, SLOW DOWN. By the second half of this run, I got it right. I'm worrying about my half marathon tomorrow, because I would like to do well, but my legs are feeling tired from this first week back at marathon training after recovering.

After my run we drove up to stay in Killington, VT for the Covered Bridges Half Marathon tomorrow. I still had an optional easy bike ride on my training schedule for the afternoon/evening, so I did it here. It's a beautiful place to ride and there are people all over on road bikes, BUT this is not a place for an easy ride due to a lot of hills. I didn't want to totally kill my quads so I kept it short and sped back down the hill after about 20 minutes at lightning speed. So much easier going down.

Marathon Training Day 7
Sunday
June 7, 2015

Half Marathon Race Day!!!

Today was the Covered Bridges Half Marathon!!! I will review this later, but I ran my best time today. Official time: 01:46:50. Average pace: 8:09. I will take it! Drove home and did a core workout. That's commitment!

No comments:

Post a Comment